If you are already a subscriber, please login to access the course material. To subscribe, please see instructions here: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions.
Welcome to Learn to Cruise Online’s Ashore Knowledge Module for Sail Canada Basic Cruising
The material covered in this module is designed to help you get the most out of your Sail Canada (SC) Basic Cruising course. It also covers all of the knowledge requirements of SC’s Basic Cruising exam. Working through the online sessions in this module, combined with your course text will prepare you to write and pass the Ashore Knowledge exam that is part of the SC Basic Cruising Standard.
This module also covers the material you need to know to pass the exam to obtain your Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC).
Scroll down for details on how to subscribe.
The SC Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge Module is organized in 4 sessions as follows.
Session 1: Sailing Fundamentals
- 1.1 Course introduction
- 1.2 How a sailboat works
- 1.3 Terms and definitions
- 1.4 Points of sail
- 1.5 Tacking and Gybing
Session 2: Safety and Weather
- 2.1 Why safety is important
- 2.2 About the PCOC
- 2.3 Responsibilities of the skipper and crew
- 2.4 Required safety equipment and gear
- 2.5 Safety on board
Session 3: Navigation
- 3.1 Collision regulations overview
- 3.2 Colregs: stand on and give way
- 3.3 Boating regulations
- 3.4 Coastal navigation basics
- 3.5 Navigation system: buoys and beacons
- 3.6 Tides and currents
Session 4: Seamanship
- 4.1 Reducing sail
- 4.2 Lee shores
- 4.3 Anchoring
- 4.4 Dealing with emergencies
- 4.5 Knots
- 4.6 VHF and sound signals
- 4.7 Additional PCOC-related knowledge
How to Subscribe
LearnToCruiseOnline’s Basic Ashore Knowledge module is designed to be completed ahead of your afloat course. The subscription fee for the online module (including the Sail Canada exam) is $175, plus HST.
Your subscription covers:
- Access to the online ashore knowledge sessions, consisting of 190 minutes of screencast presentations that supplement the official Sail Canada text, Basic Cruising Skills by Gillian West (which you can purchase directly from Sail Canada)
- Email access to LearnToCruiseOnline instructors to deal with any questions you may have
- Access to LTCO’s online Basic Cruising practice exam. This simulates the experience of writing the official Sail Canada exam and will help you gauge your readiness to write the official exam.
- Access to orientation material for your Basic Cruising Afloat course
- Ongoing access to the Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge content if you wish to review or keep updated in future.
TO SUBSCRIBE, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions
Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge Exam
Currently, Sail Canada policy does not enable us to conduct the official exam online. It must be supervised by a Sail Canada instructor in person or locally by a suitable proctor of your choice.