If you are already a subscriber, please login to access the course material. To subscribe, please see instructions here: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions.
Welcome to Learn to Cruise Online’s Ashore Knowledge Module for Sail Canada Basic Cruising
The material covered in this module is designed to help you get the most out of your Sail Canada (SC) Basic Cruising course. It also covers all of the knowledge requirements of SC’s Basic Cruising exam. Working through the online sessions in this module, combined with your course text and student notes will prepare you to write and pass the Ashore Knowledge exam that is part of the SC Basic Cruising Standard.
This module also covers the material you need to know to pass the exam to obtain your Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC).
Scroll down for details on how to subscribe.
The SC Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge Module is organized in 4 sessions as follows.
Session 1: Sailing Fundamentals
- 1.1 Course introduction
- 1.2 How a sailboat works
- 1.3 Terms and definitions
- 1.4 Points of sail
- 1.5 Tacking and Gybing
Session 2: Safety and Weather
- 2.1 Why safety is important
- 2.2 About the PCOC
- 2.3 Responsibilities of the skipper and crew
- 2.4 Required safety equipment and gear
- 2.5 Safety on board
Session 3: Navigation
- 3.1 Collision regulations overview
- 3.2 Colregs: stand on and give way
- 3.3 Boating regulations
- 3.4 Coastal navigation basics
- 3.5 Navigation system: buoys and beacons
- 3.6 Tides and currents
Session 4: Seamanship
- 4.1 Reducing sail
- 4.2 Lee shores
- 4.3 Anchoring
- 4.4 Dealing with emergencies
- 4.5 Knots
- 4.6 VHF and sound signals
- 4.7 Additional PCOC-related knowledge
How to Subscribe
LearnToCruiseOnline’s Basic Ashore Knowledge module is designed to be completed ahead of your afloat course. The subscription fee for the online module is $125, plus HST. However, if you register for a Wavelength Sailing Basic Cruising afloat course in the same calendar year, the cost of the online module will be refunded. (Note if you are doing an intermediate course with Wavelength but need to take the Basic exam the fee for the Basic Ashore module is not refundable against the Intermediate Course).
Your subscription covers:
- Access to the online ashore knowledge sessions, consisting of 190 minutes of screencast presentations that supplement the official Sail Canada text, Basic Cruising Skills by Gillian West (which you can purchase directly from Sail Canada)
- Email access to LearnToCruiseOnline instructors to deal with any questions you may have
- Access to LTCO’s online Basic Cruising practice exam. This simulates the experience of writing the official Sail Canada exam and will help you gauge your readiness to write the official exam.
- Access to orientation material for your Basic Cruising Afloat course
- Ongoing access to the Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge content if you wish to review or keep updated in future.
TO SUBSCRIBE, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions
Note: CYC students, or BOSS students taking a Sail Canada Basic Cruise and Learn course in SVG, will be provided with access to the online modules with costs covered through the course fee and/or related membership, exam, and administrative fees. Contact us for access once you have remitted your deposit.
Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge Exam
Currently, Sail Canada policy does not enable us to conduct the official exam online. It must be supervised by a Sail Canada instructor in person or by a suitable proctor.
• If you complete the LTCO Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge Module and wish to write the official Sail Canada Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge exam during a subsequent Wavelength, CYC or BOSS afloat course, the exam is free and no fee will be applicable.
• If you wish to write the Sail Canada Basic Cruising Ashore Knowledge exam outside of an afloat course, there will be an exam fee of $50 to cover the cost of arranging for an in-person or proctored exam, marking the exam, and related administrative costs.
Click on the image below to pay the Basic exam fee using Paypal in association with LTCO’s partner, Wavelength Sailing School. You can pay using your credit card or a paypal account if you have one. After doing so, contact us to arrange the timing and logistics for your exam.