The Connected Boat: Introduction
Welcome to The Connected Boat series of screencasts.
If you are already registered, login using the link opposite. Access to the screencasts is free, but if you are not already a registered user, use the registration form opposite or below to gain access.
Rob McLean, author of the screencasts is both a traditionalist (sails a gaff-rigged, square-sailed schooner), and is fascinated by modern marine electronics. He has compiled an annually-updated set of screencasts that provide core information about marine electronics, along with information about recent developments and trends.
Rob is also available to deliver a live or webinar presentation on The Connected Boat: contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Topics covered in the Connected Boat series include:
- Major trends in boat electronics
- NMEA: the connectivity standard that lets all your instruments talk to each each
- Automatic Identification System (AIS): enhancing situation awareness on the water
- WiFi onboard: for internet access and data-sharing with mobile devices
- Multifunction displays
- Accessing Marine Weather
- Radar on your tablet? Stay tuned.
- Multifunction marine apps on mobile devices and PCs
- Increasing your chances in Distress: EPIRBS and personal beacons
- Affordable remote boat monitoring
- Open Boat initiatives and DIY projects
- Future-proofing your boat