Upon passing the Basic Coastal Navigation Exam you will be awarded the Basic Coastal Navigation Standard.
Here are some details about the exam:
- The allowed time for completion is 2.5 hours
- The exam is “open book”: during the exam you may access texts, notes, and other material as desired. However, be advised that you won’t have time to learn new material: you need to already know the material to be successful
- The passing grade is 70%
- The exam consists of two parts. Part A deals with navigation theory, concepts and knowledge. Part A accounts for 65% of the total marks available. To pass the overall exam, you must obtain a minimum of 39 marks (60% of 65%) on Part A.
- In part B, you demonstrate your ability to apply your knowledge to various practical plotting problems. Part B accounts for 35% of the total marks available. To pass the overall exam, you must obtain a minimum of 21 marks (60% of 35%) on Part B.
- To take the exam you must supply a copy of Chart 9997IC which is used in Part B. At the conclusion of the exam you must mail the chart back to us.
- If you do not achieve 70% overall or 60% in each of Parts A and B, arrangements can be made for you to rewrite the exam after an interval of 14 days.
More details about the options for taking the exam will be posted shortly. In the meantime, please contact us by email if you are ready to move forward with the exam.