Upon passing the Intermediate Coastal Navigation Exam you will be awarded the Intermediate Coastal Navigation Standard.
Here are some details about the exam:
- The allowed time for completion is 3 hours
- The exam is “closed book”.
- The passing grade is 70%
- The exam consists of two parts. Part A deals with navigation theory, concepts and knowledge. Part A accounts for 55% of the total marks available. To pass the overall exam, you must obtain a minimum of 33 marks (60% of 55%) on Part A.
In part B, you demonstrate your ability to apply your knowledge to various practical plotting problems. Part B accounts for 45% of the total marks available. To pass the overall exam, you must obtain a minimum of 27 marks (60% of 45%) on Part B.
- To take the exam you must supply a copy of Chart 9997IC which is used in Part B. At the conclusion of the exam you must mail the chart back to us.
- If you do not achieve 70% overall or 60% in each of Parts A and B, arrangements can be made for you to rewrite the exam after an interval of 14 days.
When you are ready to take the exam, contact us by email for additional details about your options.