If you are already a subscriber, please login to access the course material. To subscribe, please see instructions here: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions.
Welcome to Learn to Cruise Online’s Ashore Knowledge Module for Sail Canada / ASA 106 Advanced Cruising
The material covered in this module is designed to help you get the most out of your Sail Canada (SC) or ASA 106 Advanced Cruising course. It also covers all of the knowledge requirements of SC’s and ASA’s Advanced Cruising exam. Working through the online sessions in this module, combined with your course text and student notes will prepare you to write and pass the Ashore Knowledge exam that is part of the SC or ASA 106 Advanced Cruising Standard.
Scroll down for details on how to subscribe
The SC / ASA 106 Advanced Cruising Ashore Knowledge Module is organized as follows.
Session 1: Sail Theory and Vessel Stability
- Topic 1.1: Course and session introduction
- Topic 1.2: Theory of Sailing: forces
- Topic 1.3: True and apparent wind
- Topic 1.4: Weather and lee helm
- Topic 1.5: Sail trim
- Topic 1.6: Vessel stability
Session 2: Weather
- Topic 2.1: Session introduction
- Topic 2.2: Air masses, pressure and fronts
- Topic 2.3: Clouds
- Topic 2.4: Thermal winds
- Topic 2.4: Weather forecasts
- Topic 2.5: Using weather instruments
- Topic 2.6: Reading a synoptic chart
Session 3: Safety
- Topic 3.1: Session introduction
- Topic 3.2: Colregs: rules 1-36, 40, and 45 (focus on lights)
- Topic 3.3: Distress signals
- Topic 3.4: Lightning Protection
- Topic 3.5: Personal safety equipment
- Topic 3.6: Sailing at night
Session 4: Use, Maintenance and Repair of Boat and Equipment
- Topic 4.1: Session introduction
- Topic 4.2: Winterizing and spring launch or refitting
- Topic 4.3: Checking rigging and sails
- Topic 4.4: Engine maintenance
- Topic 4.5: Electronic navigation aids: benefits and cautions
Session 5: Seamanship
- Topic 5.1: Using two anchors
- Topic 5.2: More anthoring techniques
- Topic 5.3: Emergencies: dismasting and running around
- Topic 5.4: Other emergencies
- Topic 5.5: Towing
- Topic 5.6: Sail combinations for all weather conditions
- Topic 5.7: Heavy weather preparations
- Topic 5.8: Heaving to and lying ahull
- Topic 5.9: Docking under sail
- Topic 5.10: Planning a 5-day cruise
Session 6: ASA 106 Addendum
- Topic 6.1: Session introduction
- Topic 6.2: Fuel and water capacity
- Topic 6.3: Courtesies and customs
- Topic 6.4: Crossing borders
- Topic 6.5: Swimming at anchor
- Topic 6.6: Overhead power lines
- Topic 6.7: Radar reflectors
- Topic 6.8: Rafting
- Topic 6.9: Dinghy techniques
Session 7: LTCO Advanced Cruising Practice Exam
Session 8: Sail Canada / ASA 106 Advanced Ashore Knowledge Exam
How to Subscribe
LearnToCruiseOnline’s Advanced Ashore Knowledge module is designed to be completed ahead of your afloat course. The subscription fee for the online module is $100. However, if you register for a Wavelength or BOSS Sailing Advanced Cruising afloat course in the same calendar year, the cost of the online module will be refunded.
Your subscription covers:
- Access to the online ashore knowledge sessions
- Email and Skype access to LearnToCruiseOnline instructors to deal with any questions you may have
- Access to LTCO’s online Advanced Cruising practice exam. This simulates the experience of writing the official Sail Canada or ASA 106 exam and will help you gauge your readiness to write the official exam.
- Access to orientation material for your Advanced Cruising Afloat course
- Ongoing access to the Advanced Cruising Ashore Knowledge content if you wish to review or keep updated in future.
Click on the image below to subscribe using Paypal in association with LTCO’s partner, Wavelength Sailing School. You can pay using your credit card or a paypal account if you have one:
[Form to be added]
Note: BOSS students taking a Sail Canada Intermediate Cruise and Learn course in SVG will be provided with access to the online modules with costs covered through the course fee and related membership, exam, and administrative fees. Contact us for access once you have remitted your deposit.
Advanced Cruising Ashore Knowledge Exam
Currently, Sail Canada and ASA policy does not enable us to conduct the official exam online. It must be supervised by a Sail Canada / ASA 106 instructor in person or by a suitable proctor.
• If you complete the LTCO Advanced Cruising Ashore Module and wish to write the official Advanced Cruising Ashore Knowledge exam during a subsequent Wavelength or BOSS afloat course, the exam is free and no fee will be applicable.
• If you wish to write the Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Ashore Knowledge exam outside of an afloat course, there will be an exam fee of $50 to cover the cost of arranging for an in-person or proctored exam, marking the exam, and related administrative costs.
Click on the image below to pay the Advanced exam fee using Paypal in association with LTCO’s partner, Wavelength Sailing School. You can pay using your credit card or a paypal account if you have one. After doing so, contact us to arrange the timing and logistics for your exam.
[Form to be added]