If you are already a subscriber, please login to access the course material. To subscribe, please see instructions here: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions.
Welcome to Learn to Cruise Online’s Ashore Knowledge Module for Maritime Radio (VHF).
The material covered in this module is designed to help you qualify for your Restricted Operator Certificate (Maritime). Everyone operating a VHF marine radio is required to have their ROC(M) card. Our Maritime Radio module offers a convenient and inexpensive way to get this qualification.
The course is based on the Maritime Radio Course book.
The Maritime Radio Ashore Knowledge Module is organized in 5 sessions as follows.
Session 1: Maritime Radio System Overview
- 1.1 Course Introduction
- 1.2 About Radio
- 1.3 Maritime Radio Service
- 1.4 Maritime Radio Systems
Session 2: Basic Maritime Radio Operations
- 2.1 Operating procedures
- 2.2 Distress communications
- 2.3 Urgency and Safety communications
Session 3: Advanced Maritime Radio Applications
- 3.1 GMDSS and Cospas-Sarsat
- 3.2 Digital Selective Calling overview
- 3.3 Using DSC
- 3.4 Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPRIBs), and other safety and rescue devices
Session 4: Practice Exam
LearnToCruiseOnline.ca offers an optional online practice exam that will help you prepare to take the official exam. Now Available!
Session 5: Final Exam
The module concludes with a written and oral exam, which Innovation Science and Technology usually requires be done in person. While the Covid 19 Crisis continues we have approval by Innovation Science and Technology to conduct the exam orally using Zoom. These exams are administered individually so contact us to make arrangements to take the exam. We can usually schedule an exam within a week to suit your schedule and after successfully completing the exam we will email you a temporary ROC(M) certificate.
We are normally required by the agreement with CPS to supply manuals with the courses. Unfortunately we are unable to re-stock manuals during the lockdown in Ontario. We have reduced the course price by $50 accordingly.
Note all the information required for the exams contained in the videos and the practice exam, supplied with the course. In the past when we have not supplied the manuals we found students who studied passed the exam easily without referring to the manual.
How to Subscribe
Your subscription fee covers:
- Access to the online ashore knowledge sessions, which include over 140 minutes of screencasts that provide informed commentary on marine radio topics
- Email access to LearnToCruiseOnline instructors to deal with any questions you may have
- Access to our Maritime Radio practice exam
- Supervision and marking of your official ROC(M) exam see below.
- The administrative costs involved in submitting your exam results and personal information in order that you may obtain your ROC(M) certificate
- Ongoing access to the Maritime Radio content if you wish to review or keep updated in future..
TO SUBSCRIBE, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions
- Note: During the COVID-19 pandemic we have approval by Innovation Science and Technology to administer the entire test orally using videoconferencing or a video call such as Zoom -you can connect from your home with no in-person contact. The temporary certificate will be emailed to you on the successful completion of the exam. Please contact us if you need information about logistics.