If you are already a subscriber, please login to access the course material. To subscribe, please see instructions here: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions.
Welcome to Learn to Cruise Online’s Ashore Knowledge Module for Maritime Radio (VHF).
The material covered in this module is designed to help you qualify for your Restricted Operator Certificate (Maritime). Everyone operating a VHF marine radio is required to have their ROC(M) card. Our Maritime Radio module offers a convenient and inexpensive way to get this qualification.
The Maritime Radio Ashore Knowledge Module is organized in 5 sessions as follows.
Session 1: Maritime Radio System Overview
- 1.1 Course Introduction
- 1.2 About Radio
- 1.3 Maritime Radio Service
- 1.4 Maritime Radio Systems
Session 2: Basic Maritime Radio Operations
- 2.1 Operating procedures
- 2.2 Distress communications
- 2.3 Urgency and Safety communications
Session 3: Advanced Maritime Radio Applications
- 3.1 GMDSS and Cospas-Sarsat
- 3.2 Digital Selective Calling overview
- 3.3 Using DSC
- 3.4 Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPRIBs), and other safety and rescue devices
Session 4: Practice Exam
LearnToCruiseOnline.ca offers an optional online practice exam that will help you prepare to take the official exam. Now Available!
Session 5: Final Exam
The module concludes with a written and oral exam, which Industry Canada requires be done in person. (Note that there is a workaround approved by Spectrum Canada for the in-person exam while the COVID 19 crisis continues.) When you are ready, contact us to make arrangements to take the exam and obtain your ROC(M).
How to Subscribe
Your subscription fee covers:
- Access to the online ashore knowledge sessions, which include over 140 minutes of screencasts that provide informed commentary on marine radio topics
- Email access to LearnToCruiseOnline instructors to deal with any questions you may have
- Access to our Maritime Radio practice exam
- Supervision and marking of your official ROC(M) exam if taken in connection with an on-water course
- The administrative costs involved in submitting your exam results and personal information in order that you may obtain your ROC(M) certificate
- Ongoing access to the Maritime Radio content if you wish to review or keep updated in future.
- The official text, which we are required to provide directly as a result of Canadian Power and Sail Squadron policies.
TO SUBSCRIBE, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE: https://learntocruiseonline.ca/subscriptions
Note: Unfortunately, Industry Canada does not permit online exams or proctored exams, so we need to arrange an in-person exam session. (Note that there is a workaround approved by Spectrum Canada for the in-person exam while the COVID 19 crisis continues.) Please contact us for additional information about logistics and costs, which will depend in part where you wish to take the exam.